[ale] Linux ISP Dialing w/ MCI Worldcom

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Tue Aug 10 17:50:31 EDT 1999

Gene Matthews wrote:
> it.  I saw a thread on their support news group (mciworld.users.support)
> where someone else asked for the DNS IPs and their reply was that they are
> assigned dynamically!  I am familiar, in concept at least, with DHCP, so I
> understand that client IPs are assigned dynamically, but if they are trying
> to say the DNS IP is assigned dynamically, I think they are all wet.

No, dynamic assignment of DNS servers is possible using DHCP.
Check out the man page for dhcpcd; you can find out what
DNS server was assigned by reading a file that dhcpcd
creates when it acquires the IP address. It also executes
a script when stuff changes, so you can automatically
rewrite the /etc/resolv.conf file, for example.

-- Joe Knapka
* I speak only for myself, except when the little transceiver
* at the base of my skull is activated...