[ale] Modems and Red Hat 6.0

linuxhat at mailandnews.com linuxhat at mailandnews.com
Mon Aug 9 09:24:37 EDT 1999

On 8 Aug 1999, Jeb W Barger wrote:

>Hey... I have very confused.  I know that Linux
>doesn't support PCI modems or does it?  If it does
>that's great (it's faster) however I also have a
>non-pci modem, how do I install it in Red Hat ?

There is one out there I know about.  The USR 56k Faxmodem PCI.  ~$150 at
CompUSA.  You can tell them from the wannabes by the "requirements" listed
on the box... the Real Modems will say minimum CPU 386 or (in this
particular case) 486.  The WinModems will say Pentium II 300 or some such.
(Yeah, it takes that much horsepower to crank out 56k without help.)
(I just hope they don't come out with WinEthernet cards.)  See other
comments for installing this thing; it ends up looking just like an ISA
card when all is said and done.....

-- Glenn