[ale] netscape

mike mnelson at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 8 18:33:43 EDT 1999

On Mon, 09 Aug 1999, Martin Nichols wrote:
> Hello, I am connecting to the internet using Redhat 6.0 and kppp.
> The connection is working fine but Netscape doesnt seem to know I am on
> the web. Does anyone know how to set Netscapes nameserver to the proper
> address?
>
>                             Thanks, Marty

The nameservers are in /etc/resolv.conf - since you dialed in from an Atlanta
number, you would probably want  these IP's for nameservers:

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 205.152.0.5
nameserver 205.152.0.20

ALSO ....
You can find some help on Bellsouth's internal help page
http://buzz.bellsouth.net/member/help/modems.html
There's no mention of Linux, but you can interpret what they have.
Here's an example I cut-n-pasted on "Solving DNS conflicts"
You may find this example "enlightening" as to the value of their help.
/****************************************************************************************************************
Avoiding DNS Conflicts

           If your system is configured for another Internet Service Provider (ISP), installing BellSouth.net Internet Service software may cause a Domain Name Server (DNS) conflict. There
           are two possible causes for this as described below.

           Note: Multiple non-Windows Winsock.dll (or Wsock32.dll) files may remain on your system.

           Windows 3.1

           For Windows 3.1, there should be only two such winsock.dll files:

                 one in C:\Windows
                 one in C:\Windows\Sysbackup

           Both should have a file size of 42 Kbytes. Any other files on the system may cause conflicts, and you should rename or remove them.

           Windows 95

           Windows 95 uses a 32-bit socket file called Wsock32.dll that serves, for 32-bit applications, the same function as winsock.dll does for Windows 3.1. For Windows 95, there should be only one such Wsock32.dll file:

                 in C:\Windows\System

           This file should have a file size of 65 Kbytes. Any other files on the system may cause conflicts and you should rename or remove them. Many providers today will rename the Windows 95 Wsock32.dll file and replace it
           with their own. This may result in the same errors as having a non-Windows winsock.dll file as the dominant winsock file. The Wsock32.dll that is native to Windows 95 is a 65kb file located in the windows\system
           directory (or win95\system depending on how the system is configured). BellSouth.net Internet Service uses the native Windows 95 Wsock32.dll file.

           If this file does display, do not delete it. Leave it alone.

           Note: If you have Windows 95, installing the BellSouth.net Internet Service dial-up software may cause a DNS conflict because Windows 95 does not allow DHCP and DNS to be configured concurrently.

           BellSouth.net Internet Service uses DNS name resolution while some other services use DHCP name resolution. To avoid conflicting with services that use DNS, like BellSouth.net Internet Service, disable DNS by
           completing these steps:

               1.From the Windows 95 Taskbar, select Start | Settings | Control Panel.

               2.Select Network.

               3.On the Configuration tab, under the window The following network components are installed:, scroll down to and highlight TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter. Click on Properties.

               4.Select the WINS Configuration tab, then Disable WINS Resolution. Click OK.

           You also need to disable DNS from the network settings. To do this, complete these steps:

               1.From the Windows 95 Taskbar, select Start | Settings | Control Panel.

               2.Select Network.

               3.On the Configuration tab, under the window The following network components are installed:, scroll down to and highlight TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter. Click on Properties.

               4.Select the DNS Configuration tab.

               5.Write down your current configuration for future use with your LAN configuration or other provider.

               6.Click Disable DNS Resolution. Click OK.

           When you have completed this, you will be prompted to restart your computer so that the changes will take effect.

                  This page contains information pertaining to BellSouth.net, BellSouth's Internet Service. The information on this page may not apply to people who use another Internet Service Provider.