[ale] Headers

linuxhat at mailandnews.com linuxhat at mailandnews.com
Mon Aug 2 20:23:43 EDT 1999

On 2 Aug 1999, Jay Finch wrote:

>At 05:57 PM 08/02/1999 -0400, MetroBoy wrote:
>>Sorry if I sound like I'm whining, but I was just wondering if a
>>Reply-To header could be put on here, too.  Thanks for listening.
>
>         To be on the other side of the coin, I actually prefer the current
>behavior because if I do a Reply-All on a list that has that feature
>enabled, it doesn't give me the senders address..
>
>I prefer to leave it the way it is currently. ;)

Hear, here.  It should be up to the MUA (and therefore the user) as to who
he's replying to; often things go off-topic or get into consulting and need
to go off-list.  Better MUA's have the Reply-All feature to get you back
to the list, e.g. Elm, Pine, hell, even Berkeley Mail does that.  N*tsc*p*
does not; I don't use it for an everyday MUA anymore.

Not to say that MetroBoy is a loser; hell, he's running Linux, he can't be
all bad. :)  Just that the MUA he's using sucks.  Easily remedied.

What I would really love to see is Elm with Pine's transfer interface.  (Elm
doesn't do IMAP (or POP); Pine's user interface is semi-counter-intuitive.)
(yeah, I know, neither are X-based, but I hate having to futz with a mouse
just to read mail.  Although I might be interested if somebody can show me
one that's lightweight, perhaps tcl/tk based....)

At this point warp eight bot, dealing with pine on console.....

Where, oh, where is the Real Mozilla?