[ale] Run level 5 with Gnome

Fulton Green me at FultonGreen.com
Wed Apr 28 17:20:49 EDT 1999

Patrick Ramsey schrieb dieses an Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 03:25:23PM -0400:
> Well I am using RH5.2 and I found that I was running XDM from
> inittab
>
> I tried changing it to GDM but nothing happened... lol...
> Do I need to add any command line variable when running GDM?
>
> Right now the XDM command line is :
> "x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon"
>
> Any suggestions?

I'm currently using RH 5.9 (Starbuck). Its inittab file now has that line
commented out. In its stead, there's an xdm script in /etc/rc.d/init.d that
decides, based on the contents of /etc/sysconfig/desktop , which display
anager to run (gdm, kdm, or xdm).

And what if you're not upgrading to RH 6.0? One way is to replace the
'/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon' in that inittab line with
'/usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon'. You may/may not get some funky behavior. If gdm is
recent enough, it's spitting out stuff in a log somewhere like /var/gdm .

You might also try booting into init level 5 then running gdm (probably with
the -nodaemon option) from the root console, if you're not seeing a gdm
login screen otherwise, to help you trace your spec. problem.

HTH,

Fulton Green
http://www.FultonGreen.com/