[ale] Win98 <-> Linux network

Dunlap, Randy randy.dunlap at intel.com
Wed Apr 28 16:47:57 EDT 1999

(see below)

Ethernet adapters (NICs) and hubs ("repeaters") or switches
usually perform auto-negotiation during NIC/driver init.
(although a driver can force a NIC to re-auto-negotiate).
This is assuming that your hub supports auto-negotiation.
Do you know if it does?

Your Linux driver could be forced to 100 Mbps, but I would
find that unusual.  Can you force your driver's speed
to 10 Mbps?

Auto-negotiation is performed out-of-band on the ethernet
media.  That is, it's not done in packets, but between
packets in the inter-frame gap(s), by something called
link pulses (and fast link pulses in fast ethernet).
For a network where all devices (NICs and hubs/switches)
support auto-negotiation, it works like this (from memory,
not from the spec):

A NIC and hub/switch exchange their capabilities, such as
10 or 100 Mbps, full or half duplex, and T4/TX/T (of course
almost nobody uses T4, which does not support full duplex
at 100 Mbps).  Each end (NIC and hub or switch) then
decides to use the "highest" common technologies,
where 100 > 10, full duplex > half duplex, etc.

I can't see that this will help you with your current
situation, but hope it helps you or someone else anyway.

~Randy