[ale] Redhat 6.0 available for download

Michael Hirsch hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Tue Apr 27 23:22:33 EDT 1999

cfowler at avana.net writes:

> I noticed that one could purchase RH 6 online and download it
> then.  But for $39.95 what do you get that is not free software
> anyway.  I allways thought that you pay for Linux in the store
> as a means to pay for the distribution but to sell it online
> and allow download seems wrong.  I do not see version 6 on sunsite
> yet so I'm thinking it may not go into distribution like that
> anymore.  Am I wrong?

I think you are wrong.  It has been reported that 6.0 will be more
expensive, so the $39.95 is probably deeply discounted.

If you buy from RH you get 90 days installation support which you
don't get if you just grab it for free.

When you buy it at a store you get a hard copy manual which is
difficult to download, so I guess you don't get that.

Bottom line, you get 90 days support for your $40 and have supported a
good company.

--Michael