[ale] Strange happenings since I upgraded to 2.2 kernel

Michael A. Smith masmith at bsat.com
Mon Apr 26 10:00:41 EDT 1999

I actually found the problem after looking at the README

Here is the fix:

''''
6.1 Masquerading/forwarding doesn't work!
Make sure that packet forwarding is enabled (in recent kernels it is
disabled by default, meaning that packets never even try to traverse the
`forward' chain). You can override this (as root) by typing

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
#

If this works for you, you can put this somewhere in your bootup scripts so
it is enabled every time; you'll want to set up your firewalling before this
command runs though, otherwise there's an opportunity for packets to slip
through.
''''

Thanks for replying.....