[ale] More VMWare stuff...

Dave Brooks db at disctech.net
Mon Apr 19 23:51:29 EDT 1999

ALE-

Okay, let's see if I can stump you here:

I had win98 on an 800MB partition (/dev/hda1).
I currently have linux installed on a ~1.5GB partition (/dev/hda3)
..and I have 128MB of swap space on /dev/hda2.

I deleted /dev/hda1 and recreated it as a Linux Native partition, and
mounted it on /win98, so that /win98 was 800MB of nothingness.

When I ran the configuration wizard, I told it I was installing
Windows98, and to use the directory /win98 (instead of the default,
~/vmware/win98) to put the Win98 stuff on.  I click done, and every
thing is peachy.

However, when I click "Power ON", VMWare complains that:

Apr 19 22:14:28: PowerOn
Apr 19 22:14:28: Msg_Post Error: msg.moduletable.powerOnFailed
Failed to create lock file //win98/win98.cfg.LCK: Operation not
permitted
Config file "//win98/win98.cfg" is locked by pid 344
Module 0 power on failed.

This happens every time I try and power on, even if I save the config
file and restart the VMware application.

Any Ideas?

--
david a. brooks
trusted net, inc.