[ale] Linux figures

Irv Mullins irv at ellijay.com
Mon Apr 19 09:01:53 EDT 1999

Michael B Golden wrote:

>         My dad argues that linux is not wide spread, and I agree that
> relative to Windows, it isn't. But I also think he is underestimating its
> numbers. Here is what I would like to be able to present to him, so I
> need numbers, URLs, whatever:
>
> A) How many Linux users have registered as guaranteed users?
> B) What are the estimated figures of linux users?
> C) What well-known companies currently use linux for part or all of their
> business?
> D) What well-known companies have investments in linux, or support it in
> some other way?
> E) Anything else I missed.

In addition to URL's, why not buy him a copy of the Linux
Journal?
Among the ads for raid arrays and rackmount servers which
make Windows stuff look like playtoys, you will find
articles that actually explain how to do things. You have
probably noticed that the Windows mags are full of "what you
should run out and buy today".

http://www.m-tech.ab.ca/linux-biz/ has a list of hundreds of
businesses using Linux, including several you will
recognize.(DejaNews, Netscape, Sony Worldwide Networks,
Cisco Systems, Fluke, Schlumberger Ltd, Byte Magazine,
Mercedes-Benz...) the list goes on.

Also, browsing thru http://www.linux.org and
http://www.linux.org.uk will probably be interesting.

Regards,