[ale] [OFFTOPIC] Sun IPX & IPC

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Fri Apr 16 22:56:52 EDT 1999

    David> Does anyone, off the top of their head, know what the difference
    David> between the IPX and IPC was?  I'm looking for a [real] cheap box to
    David> serve up a few web pages & sit on my network at home...

	Not absolutely sure, but an IPX is roughly equivalent to a
Sparcstation 2 (40MHz sun4c) and an IPC is equal to the older
Sparcstation 1 (1+?; don't know CPU speed).  IPC's onboard framebuffer
is b&w, IPX has a colour (8bit TGX framebuffer).  Both have 2 sbus
slots inside, and both can take up to 32M of ram internally.  I think
if you look for the Sun Managers' mailing list FAQ there's a pointer
to a Sun comparison page somewhere on the web.

	Hope that helps.

--
Fletch                |                                            __`'/|
fletch at phydeaux.org   |       "I drank what?" -- Socrates          \ o.O'