[ale] VMware and RH5.2

Michael Hirsch hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Wed Apr 14 22:17:48 EDT 1999

cfowler at avana.net writes:

> I wish you could use the directory off of ext2fs on 98 in vmware
> but that would require some sort of emulation in vmware.  I've
> allways thought the best emulation one could do was to try and
> emulate the chip itself and not the os.

dosemu does this pretty well.  It should be doable.

> Could you not run win98 on a x4 400 machine even though win98
> on supports one chip.  vmware can run on a SMP system therfore
> being invisible to the guest OS and giving 98 alot of cpu power?

I don't understand your first sentence, but I run vmware on a dual
PPro 350 and win98 is reasonably responsive, though not great.  Yes,
vmware sucks up 100% of a cpu when running win98.

Has anyone else noticed that if you suspend win98 in vmware, and then
try to resume, it can take a really long time to restart?  It takes
several minutes on my box.

--Michael