[ale] diald question

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Sun Apr 11 13:04:46 EDT 1999

> In my never ending attempt to make it easy for my girlfriend to dial out
> from windows I am trying to get diald to work. The problem that Im having
> is that it is completely hosing my route when it starts. The question I
> have is should I tell pppd to use defaultroute and diald to use
> defaultroute, or should I just tell diald to and remove it from pppd?

       pppd-options <arg1> ...
              When diald is being used in PPP mode extra commands
              can be passed on to pppd by specifying them after a
              pppd-options  command, or after "--" on the command
              line.  This should not  normally  be  necessary  as
              default   commands   can   be   placed   into   the
              /etc/ppp/options file. But, if you need to run mul-
              tiple   instances  of  diald  with  different  pppd
              options, then you will have to  make  use  of  this
              ability.   WARNING:  Note  that  some pppd commands
              should  not  be  specified,   not   even   in   the
              /etc/ppp/options  file, because they will interfere
              with the proper operation of diald.  In  particular
 *-->         you  should  not  specify  the tty device, the baud
 *-->         rate, nor any  of  the  options  crtscts,  xonxoff,
 *-->         -crtscts,  defaultroute,  lock,  netmask,  -detach,
 *-->         modem, local, mtu and proxyarp.  Use the equivalent
              diald commands to control these pppd settings.