[ale] samba1.9.18

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sat Apr 10 22:50:45 EDT 1999

"J. Reeves Hall" wrote:

> Patrick Ramsey wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of any known issues with samba and 98/nt machines?  I can see my linux box fine under 95 but when I go to it from a 98 machine or NT box it tells me "password incorrect/User not allowed to log in from this workstation"
>
> Encrypted password snafu perhaps? M$ tried to throw Samba off... I think there's a solution for the problem, but I'm not sure what it is...

I got around this by setting 'server = MYNTBOX' and 'security = server'

If you do this, any id that is going to access a machine via Samba, will
need to have a valid password on the NT box.

There's another way to resolve this, but I think it requires a recompile
of Samba to use encrypted passwords.  Check out the docs on the Samba
web site, there's very specific info regarding this there.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl