[ale] routing and networking

Tri merlintm at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 9 21:41:53 EDT 1999

When I try to telnet into a second computer(192.168.1.2) on my network,
telnet returns a message that says it can't reach the host since there is no
route to the host. However my routing table indicates that indeed there is a
route to every machine on the 192.168.1.0 network. I am using kernel 2.2.5,
the route was set automatically by the kernel when I used:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
to set up my network card. I am sure that my drivers are loaded correctly
and the second machine is also using the same kernel version and configured
the same way( except for the ip address of course) Any Ideas on why this is
happening. I am using the tulip driver.
Tri