[ale] Using TAR Question

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Fri Apr 9 15:44:35 EDT 1999

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Brubakken, Eric wrote:

> Yesterday I downloaded a TAR file to my winbox. I then did a binary ftp to
> the Linux box.  When I run tar -x filename the system just sits there,
> nothing happens.  I seem to remember something about win/dos treats end of
> line as cr/lf and Linux just a lf.  Could this be the problem? Isn't there
> some type of utility that I can run against the file that might correct
> this?
>
> Clueless.....

If you just typed
	tar -x foo.tar

...then tar is looking for a file called foo.tar on the "default tape
device."  You need to do this:
	tar -xf foo.tar

The 'f' option tells it to use a different file/device than the default.
Personally, I like to add the 'v' option, which will cause it to list the
files as it untars them, but that's just me.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
US Troops out of Kosovo NOW!