[ale] Power Management

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Apr 8 08:48:13 EDT 1999

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Wandered Inn wrote:

> Nick Robinson wrote:
> >
> > Just installed RedHat5.2 last week and do not see anything in accompanying
> > manual about power management, i.e., leave monitor on and it turns if off
> > after x minutes.  Am I correct in assuming (oops) that Linux does not have
> > APM?
> >
> > Newbie Nick
>
> If you're using X, you can use 'xset to set the 'standby/suspend/off'
> values for your monitor.  If you're not using X, I don't know of
> anything that does this for you.

If you don't run X, console-tools comes with setvesablank, which lets you do
exactly what it sounds like it does.  There's also an example program
included as comments in one of the console drivers in the kernel src tree. I
don't remember which one, but at any rate, if you don't want to get
console-tools, you can cut that out and compile it, then use it to set dpms
stuff for the console.

later,
chris

--