[ale] Power Management

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Apr 8 07:22:16 EDT 1999

Nick Robinson wrote:

> Just installed RedHat5.2 last week and do not see anything in accompanying
> manual about power management, i.e., leave monitor on and it turns if off
> after x minutes.  Am I correct in assuming (oops) that Linux does not have
> APM?
>
> Newbie Nick

If you're using X, you can use 'xset to set the 'standby/suspend/off'
values for your monitor.  If you're not using X, I don't know of
anything that does this for you.  Something like 'xset dpms 1200 1800
2400' From the xset man page:

 dpms flags...
               The dpms option  allows  the  DPMS  (Energy  Star)
               parameters  to  be set.  The option can take up to
               three numerical values, or the `force'  flag  fol-
               lowed  by  a DPMS state.  The `force' flags forces
               the server to immediately switch to the DPMS state
               specified.    The   DPMS   state  can  be  one  of
               `standby', `suspend', or  `off'.   When  numerical
               values  are  given, they set the inactivity period
               before the three modes are activated.   The  first
               value  given is for the `standby' mode, the second
               is for the `suspend' mode, and the  third  is  for
               the  `off'  mode.  Setting these values implicitly
               enables the DPMS features.  A value of  zero  dis-
               ables a particular mode.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl