[ale] VMWare General Question

Benjamin Scherrey marct at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 8 02:37:45 EDT 1999

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, root wrote:
> Okay, Okay--
>
> Anyways, the question comes when I load the other OS in VMWare which
> *ahem* happens to be Win98 *cringe*.   Since VMWare requires its own
> X-server, is there any ways to get "accelerated" graphics inside the
> VMWare screen?  (I'm only getting 16 colors.  It's quite annoying).
> What hardware would Windows recognize an X-server as?

	I've had several conversations with those guys, and I
	don't have a direct answer for you.  I do know that they
	have *custom* video drivers that can be loaded into the
	compy of windows you are running, and they have submitted
	a patch or two to XFree86 that they are going to
	incorperate that will make this kind of stuff easier/faster.

	The VMware folks have more coming, the next year for them
	is going to be incredibily interesting.  Watch their site :)

	Marc Torres
	marct at mindspring.com