[ale] netscape default home

UnderGrid Founder undrgrid at Toons.UnderGrid.net
Wed Apr 7 19:38:06 EDT 1999

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 04:39:59PM -0400, Nick Lucent wrote:
> I recently ordered debian 2.1 cd's, and reinstalled, but since I
> reinstalled from cd (rather than ftp) netscape goes to www.debian.org when
> its opened. Ive changed home to slashdot, and it goes there when I click
> the home button, but it opens to debian none the less. Does anyone happen
> to know where debian set this up at, or what variable holds it? Ive tried
> grepping through /etc but couldnt find anything.
>=20
> just a little annoyance, not terribly important, but thought I would ask
> Nick

	I'm actually runnin potato now on my machine but it was install'd=20
from the 2.1 CDs after a brand new harddrive was install'd... upon some=20
investigation I found that netscape is actually a shell script wrapper loca=
ted
as /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape... If you look in that script it has a grep rout=
ine
which grabs the browser.startup.homepage from your preferences.js in your
~/.netscape/ directory.. One thing you may want to check is the actual menu
options for your window manager... I noticed many of them have the Debian=
=20
homepage URL hardcoded in the command line executed when you select the menu
item... a good test for this is try startin Netscape from an xterm and see =
if
it goes to your selected homepage instead...

	Respectfully,
	Jeremy T. Bouse

--=20
,--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---,
| Jeremy T. Bouse  -  UnderGrid Network Services, LLC  -   www.UnderGrid.ne=
t  |
|     PGP ID/Fingerprint: 1024/E83D9AE5/4ACC03F098D78198 19D0593E50E597E9  =
   |
|   Public PGP key available via email at pgp-public-keys at pgp.UnderGrid.net=
   |
| undrgrid at UnderGrid.net  -  NIC Whois: JB5713  -  Jeremy.Bouse at UnderGrid.n=
et |
|      promotion, n.: New title, new salary, new office, same old crap.    =

---'

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL--