[ale] SCSI CD-ROM problem

Daniel Boyd dboyd at berry.edu
Tue Sep 15 17:21:03 EDT 1998

Hello ALE,

I'm having a problem setting up a Linux CD-ROM server. Here is
the hardware config:

Pentium 90, 64Mb RAM with onboard aic7870 controller with
primary HD and CD-ROM connected.
3 - AHA1740 EISA SCSI HBAs each with a stack of CD-ROMs
connected.

The problem is that no matter what is connected to the 1740s
(dealing wih known good equipment) the only CD-ROM drives
accessible are the one connected to the primary aic7xxx controller
(dev/scd0)  and the first two (/dev/scd1 & /dev/scd2) on the
aha1740 devices.  /dev/scd3 and up are "not valid block devices".
Kernel rev is 2.0.35... I've done this before on a 2.0.32 system, has
something changed in the kernel?  I've deleted and recreated the
corresponding /dev devices also.  Any clues?

Dan

Daniel Boyd, CNA              Voice: 706/236-1750
Network Manager               Fax: 706/238-7858
Computing and Technology      email: dboyd at berry.edu
Berry College         "We are confronted with
                       insurmountable opportunities."
                             -Walt Kelly