[ale] Linux - BellSouth Connection

Nick Lucent nlucent at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 15 07:14:23 EDT 1998

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Stephen F Nicholas wrote:

I had the exact same problem with slackware/debian/redhat. When I finally
could connect it wouldnt let me resolve. Another guy tried on my
connection and his worked fine. Guess its just one of those freak things.
Been using mindspring for over a year now and havent had the problem yet.
nick

> Hello all,
>   For the past 1.5 years, I've had a ppp connection via BellSouth using
> Linux.  This broke 1.5 weeks ago.  According to the logs, it gets my ID
> and password and then dies.  I can connect successfully using 95 b :(
>
>   Talked with BellSouth this past weekend, and they assured me nothing
> has changed (figured password authentication had changed.)  They were
> actually quite cordial regarding my Linux boxes (the supervisor runs Slackware.)
>
>   OK, so I did a full reinstall from tape..same problem.  Did a new
> install from a RedHat 5.1 cdrom (yes, I included the patches)...same
> thing.  Booted up my wife's ps ( my old one, running RH 4.2)..same
> problem.  Something has changed, and they're not aware of it (been there,
> done that.)  I'd like to keep them, but something is terribly amiss.
>
> Any Linux users connecting through BellSouth out there??  Any
> suggestions??
>
> Info:
> 233 MMX 64MB RAM
> RedHat 5.1 with 'some' patches
> 28.8 Motorola Modem
> 4.3 WD HD UDMA
> SB 64 Value Sound Card
> 10x cdrom (Hi-Val - it works.)
>
> Wifes:
> 486 - 80 40MB RAM
> RedHat 4.2 with patches
> 14.4 Sportster  USR
> 1.2 GB WD
> 430 WD (slave)
>

> Mine is running ip masq and has been sucessful fo a long time running.
>
> Suggestions welcome.
>
> Steve

> | Steve Nicholas             |                        |
> | Help Center Services       |  A risk is not a risk  |
> | Georgia State University   |  until it is taken.    |
> | snicholas at gsu.edu          |                        |
> | HTTP://www.gsu.edu/help    |                        |

QOTD:
        "Wouldn't it be wonderful if real life supported control-Z?"