[ale] offtopic: Q2-Mouse: First you have it, then you don't

ari myo at thy.dyn.ml.org
Sat Sep 12 18:00:57 EDT 1998

It's about linux.  STOP CALLING IT OFF-TOPIC!@#

ok, that said...

i haven't played quake much, but first things first...

is it a ps/2 mouse or a serial?

I'm assuming you're running this from the console.  try killing gpm before
running quake.  some ps/2 mice won't work with X servers if gpm is also
running.

on another terminal, while playing, cat /proc/interrupts.  irq's are on the
left, traffic is in the middle, and the device name is on the right.  a
serial device name will be different from the ps/2 device name, of course.
make sure you don't have any conflicts (i.e. 2 devices with the same irq).  if
all is good, switch to the quake terminal, and move the mouse around.  don't
touch the mouse while not on the quake screen.  switch back to the terminal,
and cat /proc/interrupts again.  the traffic meter in the middle should have
increased.

try those, for some problem solving suggestions...

ari