[ale] ZIP drive

Andrew Newton lfs at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 3 08:38:50 EDT 1998

I'm having the same problem with the ATAPI ZIP drive on my G3.
I know that the 2.1.115 kernel makes an attempt at recognizing
it as an ATAPI Floppy device but that the IDE-FLOPPY driver
rejects it out of hand as the Zip drive doesn't actually conform
to the ATAPI floppy protocol.  Perhaps further work has been done
on this in the later kernels, like 2.1.118.  You may want to try
those out.

Also, take what I am saying here with a grain of salt.  I'm
speaking of experience with the LinuxPPC kernels which doesn't
seemed to be in synch with the main kernel tree.  But I'd check
out the newer kernels just to see.

-Andy

rexj at networx.com.au wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I've just read Marjorie Richardson's interview of Greg in the
> September LJ, and am deeply impressed.  You guys/gals certainly
> are *movers*.
>
> I am a moderately experienced Unix/C programmer, and have been using
> the incomparable Linux OS since 1995.  I now have version 2.0.29
> (Slackware 3.2 CDROM) running on a PC with PCI motherboard and Cyrix
> P200+ CPU.  About 8 months ago, I bought an Iomega internal IDE ZIP
> drive and installed it as the secondary master drive.  I thought that
> Linux would recognise it as an IDE device, but to my surprise I
> could not even get 'fdisk' to talk to it.  I know that the drive is
> supposed to have 98 cylinders, but could not get the BIOS
> ( Award May 1997 ) to accept any combination of C/H/S that I specified.
>
> Over the last 7 months I have searched the Internet and the Linux
> documentation for information relating to this type of drive, but can
> only find stuff relating to the SCSI models.
>
> Now I turn to you in desperation, as I believe that someone in
> ALE will surely have found a solution to this problem.
> BTW, I still use a text-based system, my email works only with
> 7-bit ASCII, and I don't have access to newsgroups.
>
> Sorry to trouble you, but I am really at a dead end.
>
> *** Could you also put me on the ALE mailing list?  Thanks.
>
> Best wishes.
>
> Rex Jooste            rexj at networx.com.au

What Do You Want To Spend Today?                 Andrew Newton
Linux, FREE for an unlimited time!              lfs at eskimo.com
www.debian.org/social_contract.html        www.eskimo.com/~lfs