[ale] ZIP drive

rexj at networx.com.au rexj at networx.com.au
Thu Sep 3 16:57:31 EDT 1998

Hi Folks,
I've just read Marjorie Richardson's interview of Greg in the
September LJ, and am deeply impressed.  You guys/gals certainly
are *movers*.

I am a moderately experienced Unix/C programmer, and have been using
the incomparable Linux OS since 1995.  I now have version 2.0.29
(Slackware 3.2 CDROM) running on a PC with PCI motherboard and Cyrix
P200+ CPU.  About 8 months ago, I bought an Iomega internal IDE ZIP
drive and installed it as the secondary master drive.  I thought that
Linux would recognise it as an IDE device, but to my surprise I
could not even get 'fdisk' to talk to it.  I know that the drive is
supposed to have 98 cylinders, but could not get the BIOS
( Award May 1997 ) to accept any combination of C/H/S that I specified.

Over the last 7 months I have searched the Internet and the Linux
documentation for information relating to this type of drive, but can
only find stuff relating to the SCSI models.

Now I turn to you in desperation, as I believe that someone in
ALE will surely have found a solution to this problem.
BTW, I still use a text-based system, my email works only with
7-bit ASCII, and I don't have access to newsgroups.

Sorry to trouble you, but I am really at a dead end.

*** Could you also put me on the ALE mailing list?  Thanks.

Best wishes.

Rex Jooste            rexj at networx.com.au