[ale] Jazz disk (ATAPI)

Lisa Chiang gt6492d at gatech.campus.mci.net
Wed Sep 2 10:59:50 EDT 1998

OK:

I've searched the How-tos and Mini-Howtos and the information there doesn't
seem to work for my ATAPI zip disk drive.  When I type dmesg, I can see that
Linux sees it as hdd.:

hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI CDROM drive

So, per one of the tips I put the following in my /etc/fstab: (/dev/zip is
linked to /dev/hdd)

/dev/zip                  /mnt/zip                  auto   noauto,user 0 0

As root I also executed "chmod a+rw /dev/hdd" to give non-root users access to
the disk.  Whenever I try to mount the zip disk though, I see the following
error messages:

mount /dev/zip /mnt/zip -t msdos (I also tried mounting as vfat and ext2 -
always same error)

mount: block device /dev/zip is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/zip,
or too many mounted file systems

hdd: packet command error: status=0x51
hdd: packet command error: error=0x50
hdd: code: 0x70  key: 0x05  asc: 0x20  ascq: 0x00
hdd: cdrom_read_intr: data underrun (3 blocks)
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40, sector 2
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock

Any suggestions?  Thanks.  I'm running Redhat 4.2 with kernel 2.0.30.  Thanks.

 -- Lisa Chiang
Georgia Institute of Technology
gt6492d at gatech.campus.mci.net