[Fwd: [ale] SCSI booting problem]

Chris Hamilton chrish at ifsintl.com
Wed Sep 2 08:54:22 EDT 1998

I'd like to thank those that have helped out in my problem. Last night, I
finally got Linux to boot from the SCSI drive. Michael Ivey suggested the
initrd method, which appears to be the setup RH5.1 uses post-installation.
The only .. problem .. I see is if I compile the driver for my SCSI card,
INTO the kernel, Linux doesn't detect it at boot time. However, when using
the initrd method, it loads the appropriate module, detects all the SCSI
drives and continues happily.

Regardless, I downloaded 2.0.35, configured, compiled and installed the
new kernel (making sure to compile the SCSI driver was a module), ran
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.0.35 2.0.35, modified lilo.conf to reflect new
changes, ran lilo and there was peace in the world (at least at my PC)

Again, thanks for the suggestions,
Chris