[ale] ISDN

Tom Wiencko tew at wiencko.com
Fri Oct 23 13:56:37 EDT 1998

Williams, Jim wrote:

> When you say your ISP link do you mean how you hook up to an ISP or hosting
> your own ISP? ( I noticed the wiencko.com) I was thinking I could even use
> this to host some web sites I am working on but I am not sure if this is
> feasible.  Presently we are going to host them elsewhere or maybe buy some
> space from a friend that has a T1 and place our own server in his closet.
> Do I have to use an ISP?  Would I have to buy an IP address if I did not
> want to use an ISP.
> What does Wiencko & Associates, Inc. do?
>
> Sorry I am so full of questions but I think this may be the answer to many
> problems that I have.  It seems the more I learn, the more questions I have
> and problems I create for myself.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jim Williams
> Business Systems Analyst
> Accu-Tech Corporation
> jwilliam at accu-tech.com <mailto:Jwilliam at accu-tech.com>

I am hooked up to an ISP.  If I was an ISP myself, I would be using a
very
different interface arrangement (and using primary rate ISDN lines, not
basic
rate).

You could use this to host a web site, but it would get expensive.
BellSouth
used to offer ISDN lines without usage charges, but not any more.
Depending
on whether you get the line tarriffed as residential or business
service, you
get a certain number of connect hours per month for free, then start
paying
per minute charges after that.  For a 7x24 connection it's a little
pricey.

The details of how to set up your own website host are somewhat
involved, and
probably outside the scope of this mailing list, but in 40 words or
less, don't
do it.  Unless you have a very high volume site, or have security
concerns (like
electronic commerce) it is not worth the hassle to do your own hosting.

Wiencko & Associates provides consulting, project management and
development
services to the telephone industry as large users of telecommunications
services.
We specialize in business systems needed to run phone companies, such as
billing systems, customer care, provisioning, switch interfaces, fraud
control,
high volume voice/data network design and configuration, and so on.

-Tom

Tom Wiencko                                            tew at wiencko.com
President - Wiencko & Associates, Inc.