[ale] enlightenment and mtrr

Mike Kachline kachline at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 22 16:52:06 EDT 1998

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Tri wrote:

> I hear mandrake talking about how turning on mtrr on the linux kernel
> can speed things up in X quite a bit. Well I compiled my kernel with
> mtrr support, is there anything I have to do to get X or enlightenment
> to use it. I have a PII.
<snip>
	Yep.
	First and foremost, read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/mtrr.txt.
It'll tell you everything you need to know to get mtrr working (it really
does seem to make a difference in X on my PPro).

	Basically, I've got a line in my rc.local which does something to
the tune of:
echo "Setting MTRR Optimization..."
echo "base=0x80000000 size=0x200000 type=write-combining" > /proc/mtrr

	Where I've got a 2Mb video card, and X tells me that my card is
using base 0x80000000.

							Cheers,
								- Mike
Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech