[ale] Linux + X10 = Contest Entry...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Sat Oct 17 17:27:06 EDT 1998

Hey all...

	This is really going to sound self serving (well maybe it is a little
bit) but I need a little help with a contest entry.  :-)  I think this counts
toward Linux enthusiasm, so it's not too far off topic...

	For those of you who are not familiar with the X10 controllers, these
are neat little remote control and sensor gizmos sold by Radio Shack and
a bunch of other places.  The main outfit is X10 Corp up in Canada.  The
controller modules can control lights and bells (and modems...) and all sorts
of stuff.  It's all done over the power lines in the house.  They have IR
sensors and light level sensors and a computer interface.

	They supply Windblows software, but the "Heyu" and "XTend" packages
are available for doing a bunch of neat stuff under Linux.  I use them to
remotely reset my Bitsurfer Pro ISDN modems when needed, as well as
controlling Christmas lights over the holidays.  I'm just getting some
outdoor motions sensors and a remote doorbell chime in now.  Really helps
when the UPS guy comes during the day and I'm in the basement (really!).

	Here's the game...

	X10 Corp (www.x10.com) has a monthly contest for X10 applications.
Yes, there is a prize involved.  Anyways, this month's theme is Halloween.
With motion sensors and computer controls, you can imagine some of the
ideas that are running wild up there.

	I have submitted a contest entry that involves a system running
Linux.  I even finished the submission with the remark "Try this with your
Windows software".  Before anyone asks...  No, I'm not going to have time
to actually build this thing THIS YEAR, largely due to preparations for
ALS and all...  There will be a scaled down version for Halloween this
year.  Next year is a different matter though...  :-)

	Here is a remark in their acknowledgement of the contest entry:  "Be
sure to return and vote for your entry and TELL YOUR FRIENDS to vote for
your entry as well!  Your friends may help you win this contest!"  (Emphasis
all theirs.)

	Ok...  We're all friends here, right?  :-)  How about we show them
how much support there is for a Linux based entry.  :-)  My entry is was
on the 14th (they have a calendar to click on) and it's entry number 129.

	Now...  To be fair, I would like to win this contest, but I would
much more like to see more Linux based entries.  Can you come up with
something better?  Get it up there and more power to you!  I would love
to see two or three Linux entries in the top five for this contest before
all is said and done.  Maybe that will shake loose some interest and some
support from them.  I'm just sending this to the ALE list, but if anyone
can think of someone else who can come up with some neat ideas, forward
this along...  (Don't spam lists off topic though, I'm not looking for
hate mail in this, just promoting Linux...)  Ideas that work well on
Linux and next to impossible on Windows would be great (special scripts,
multitasking multimedia, etc, etc, etc...)

	The contest is really kinda rigged.  Early entries have a decided
advantage (longer voting time, and it takes longer to read through and get
to later entries) and anything that makes it to the top five is likely
to stay there.  I can see most people just clicking over to the top five
list, adding their vote to something cute, and never reading any of the
others.  You have to really know where an entry already is or do quite
a bit of digging and browsing to find something.

	Yes, they are promoting the sale of their products.  I want to add
promoting Linux on top of that.  I've been using X10 controllers for over
20 years and would be buying this stuff anyways.  This just looks like an
opportunity to have some fun and rattle some cages.

	Sooo...  If you are so willing, pop up to www.x10.com and either
submit a Linux based contest entry yourself (and let your friends know)
or throw a vote for one that's up there.  My entry is off of calendar day
14 entry 129.  Anything else that's Linux specific would be after that
(I went through all of the earlier ones).

	Final note...  You only get one vote and your last vote counts.  So
if you vote for one thing and then go back and vote for something else, the
earlier vote is removed.  I have no idea if they are tracking this by IP
address or E-Mail.  I don't THINK you have to give them an E-Mail address
to vote.  If you submit a really REALLY killer plan up there, I might
even vote for you!

	Regards,
	Mike

  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/