[ale] Quake2 catches Sig 11 and blows out and leaves the console messed up?

ari myo at thy.ml.org
Fri Oct 16 23:59:31 EDT 1998

if svgalib crashes, the console may well be left unusable, with "reset"
proving either useless or non-typeable.

in the first case, where you can actually type commands on the console, you
would have to use something like SVGATextMode to reinstate normality into the
terminal.  loading X could prove useful, but upon exiting or switching back to
a console screen, you may find yourself once again in dismay.

the second case, where garbage spawns from your letters, which is in turn
interpreted as garbage by the shell, you will have to telnet into the machine
and either reboot or force a terminal change, as [ctrl-]alt-F* will also be
interpreted as that very same garbage (again, loading X is a good example).
returning to that virtual terminal will return you to your predicament.  other
vts should be fine.  to correct the problem without rebooting, you may have to
delete the offending vt's device, kill the getty process running on it
(possibly edit inittab to disable that getty process's respawn), and remake
the device using MAKEDEV.

i would test this for you, but i don't have a spare linux machine currently at
my disposal, and i haven't got a graphics-capable video interface card on my
openbsd machine anyway.

ari