[ale] ISPs [cable]

Bob's ALE Mail transam at cavu.com
Mon Oct 5 12:36:48 EDT 1998

Look before you leap into Cable modem ISPs!

Some ONLY work if you have winbloz95 because you have to run their
code on your system.

Also, when I used a Beta system in Long Island, NY I found latency
of up to 20 seconds when using tcpip (per character) and that my telnet
connection got dropped about once an hour.

Thus, while it might be ok for surfing and pulling down GIFs, I found it
worthless for interactive work.

I don't know what it's like here.

MediaOne offered it to me here between Norcross and Duluth in Gwinnett Cty.

BellSouth also offers a fast connection in the Dunwoody area as a Beta test.
They give you a standard 10MB ethernet connection in your house.

Bob Toxen
bob at cavu.com http://www.cavu.com
transam at cavu.com [ALE & Linux Laptops]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.

"The bad reputation UNIX has gotten is totally undeserved, laid on by
people who don't understand, who have not gotten in there and tried
anything."  -- Jim Joyce, owner of Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore