[ale] no login and do_ypcall?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Oct 5 00:15:38 EDT 1998

> On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Nomad the Wanderer wrote:
>
> > I'm installing RH-5.1 on my Laptop and hit a snag.  When I log in on the
> > console It takes a bit, I get:
> >
> > do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Timed Out
> >
> > and then I get the login prompt back. I can rsh and telnet in, just can't
> > login from the console.  Anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > The Syslog reports  nothing.

It's trying to log in via NIS / NIS+, and then timing out connecting
(presumably because you don't have ypserv and / or ypbind running).

If I remember correctly, 5.1 as shipped had a bug (in glibc perhaps; it's
been a while since I've looked at it, and I always install all the patches
by default, so I've never had to worry about it) that tried to do logins
over NIS/NIS+ no matter what.  Try installing all the updates on RedHat's
ftp site and see if that fixes it.

Also, check your /etc/nsswitch.conf ; make sure that for the passwd, shadow,
group, and hosts entries that files is listed first, before nisplus and nis
(nsswitch.conf controls the order in which the system queries what.  You
want files first, which tells it to look in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
before going out and querying an NIS / NIS+ server.

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu