[ale] Linux as a Terminal Server?

Linux Idiot esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Oct 2 07:20:41 EDT 1998

Nomad the Wanderer wrote:

> That's exactly what it is.  Right now i have 30 some odd servers
> and 30 some odd dumb terminals.  I need the console connected to
> the Terminal Server because that way I can get a root login remote
> without enabling telnet root logins.  In addition, if you sent a
> STOP-A or "break" to the console port it drops the machine bios
> and you can reboot.  That way if the machine hangs hard you can
> still reboot remotely, even if you can't actually log in.
>
> Robert

Will the boxes boot if there is no console connected?  I know the old
3b2s would not.  As I recall, we had some software on those things that
would allow a remote terminal to take control of the console.  A lot
like PCanywhere for Windows.  You could be sitting at the console and
all of a sudden characters would be displayed across the console as
someone logged in.  I don't recall the name of the software, I don't
even know if it still exists.  I can make some phone calls and try find
out.

What you really want to be able to do is the remote reboot if the
machine hangs.  That's the only thing you can't do via a telnet.
Otherwise you could log in as yourself then su, without enabling root
telnet.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????