[ale] Linux as a Terminal Server?

Nomad the Wanderer nomad at orci.com
Fri Oct 2 00:55:04 EDT 1998

That's exactly what it is.  Right now i have 30 some odd servers
and 30 some odd dumb terminals.  I need the console connected to
the Terminal Server because that way I can get a root login remote
without enabling telnet root logins.  In addition, if you sent a
STOP-A or "break" to the console port it drops the machine bios
and you can reboot.  That way if the machine hangs hard you can
still reboot remotely, even if you can't actually log in.

Robert

Thus spake Linux Idiot (esoteric at denali.atlnet.com):

> Nomad the Wanderer wrote:
> >
> > I want to connect ttyS0 (com0) on my Terminal Server to the console
> > port (ttya) on my server.
>
> Excuse my ignorance.  Is this a console port in that you would drop a
> dumb terminal on it to access the console?  I know very little about Sun
> boxes.  Don't you have another serial port available on that machine
> that you could do the null modem solution?
>
> I know the old 3b2 machines wouldn't boot if you didn't have a console
> connected.
>
> --
> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
>
> You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????

Robert L. Harris                |   You mean you paid
Senior System Administrator II  |        MONEY for
  at Great West Life.           \_    Service Pack '98???

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

FYI: