[ale] ALE Showcase 1998

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Oct 1 13:35:38 EDT 1998

Linux Idiot enscribed thusly:
> Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> >         I have the latest ApplixWare arriving UPS sometime today and the
> > presents package add's functionallity that I know is in Power Point, but
> > was not in the 4.3.7 Applix Presents.  I know that they've added fly-in's
> > and several other features.  I've always had to "fake" builds, so that
> > will be nice to.  I wanted to be able to add background video to my talk
> > last year on Lightening (Power Point can do this) but could not.  Maybe
> > the new Applix does, and maybe it doesn't.  I know from the blurbs that
> > the new version will import from Power Point (4.3.7 did not) and that
> > helps.  Unfortunately, it appears that it does not export to Power Point,
> > which makes it difficult for me to prepare presentations and hand them
> > over to others to use, who don't have Applix.  I hope it will export to
> > html, but did not see it on the list...

> Based on 'their' website, HTML export will not be there either.

> >         I'll know more later today.

	UPS just left.  I'm looking at the version 4.41 release notes
right in front of me.  Page 11...

Presents

	* Applixware 4.37 amd 4.4x support PowerPoint version 2.0, 3.0, 4.0
	and 7.0 for imports.

	* Presents Export at HTML with graphics in GIF, or JPEG formats is
	available in 4.3.7 and 4.4x.

	* Export to PowerPoint 97.

	Interesting...  I had not found the 4.37 import from PowerPoint.
I thought it was just graphics import.  Welllll...  We shall see.

	Looks like it's got several things I was hoping for and it's got
one hell of a nicer manual than came with 4.37.

	It's also interesting how, even in their doc's, they mix revision
notation like 4.4.1 <=> 4.41 and 4.3.7 <=> 4.37...  Oh well...

	Now to get it installed and check it out...  :-)

> --
> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
>
> You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/