[ale] ALE Showcase 1998

Linux Idiot esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Oct 1 11:02:08 EDT 1998

Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> Linux Idiot enscribed thusly:

> > I find it a bit hypocritical to consider using a Microsoft tool for an
> > event such as this.
>
>         That's why I don't.  But remember, all of our tools are compared
> against what Microsoft's does.

I am fully aware of these comparisons, since I'm currently working on
getting Linux accepted as a webserver and desktop solution at AT&T.

>         I have the latest ApplixWare arriving UPS sometime today and the
> presents package add's functionallity that I know is in Power Point, but
> was not in the 4.3.7 Applix Presents.  I know that they've added fly-in's
> and several other features.  I've always had to "fake" builds, so that
> will be nice to.  I wanted to be able to add background video to my talk
> last year on Lightening (Power Point can do this) but could not.  Maybe
> the new Applix does, and maybe it doesn't.  I know from the blurbs that
> the new version will import from Power Point (4.3.7 did not) and that
> helps.  Unfortunately, it appears that it does not export to Power Point,
> which makes it difficult for me to prepare presentations and hand them
> over to others to use, who don't have Applix.  I hope it will export to
> html, but did not see it on the list...

Based on 'their' website, HTML export will not be there either.

>         I'll know more later today.

I'm curious is this an upgrade?  I've got 4.3.7 and would like to get
the newer version.  what did it cost you?

>         It's not hypocritical to know your enemy and understand what he
> does.  And if he does something that you don't that others want, you need
> to get on it...

I agree, but I don't agree with using the 'enemies' tool to present in
an arena where you are trying to promote competing product, I'm talking
OS's not presentation tools.

>         I just WISH Corel had gotten their office suite ready for this.  The
> reviews I keep hearing about Corel Presentation are fabulous.  Everyone
> ranks it far superior to Power Point.  If it had been available, I would
> have used that.  Since it's not, I prepared using Applixware and ordered
> the latest version.
>
>         It should be interesting to see how many presenters will be using
> Power Point at this year's showcase.  There were a few last year (I used
> Applixware then as well as now).  I would expect fewer this year.  I would
> think it "OK" if someone was using Corel Presentation even if it wasn't
> on Linux yet.  It's coming...

Yeah, I would lean that way as well.  Not that it presents an anti-MS
attitude, but the fact that Corel is working with Linux.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????