[ale] ALE Showcase 1998

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Oct 1 10:00:17 EDT 1998

Linux Idiot enscribed thusly:
> Zot O'Connor wrote:

> > > I really wish Power Point (Yuck),
> > > Applix Presents, and Corel Presentation would dump straight to some
> > > sort of HTML for this very purpose...  Maybe they do and I just haven't
> > > figured it out yet...  :-)

> > Power Point does, and I think Staroffice does as well.

> I find it a bit hypocritical to consider using a Microsoft tool for an
> event such as this.

	That's why I don't.  But remember, all of our tools are compared
against what Microsoft's does.

	I have the latest ApplixWare arriving UPS sometime today and the
presents package add's functionallity that I know is in Power Point, but
was not in the 4.3.7 Applix Presents.  I know that they've added fly-in's
and several other features.  I've always had to "fake" builds, so that
will be nice to.  I wanted to be able to add background video to my talk
last year on Lightening (Power Point can do this) but could not.  Maybe
the new Applix does, and maybe it doesn't.  I know from the blurbs that
the new version will import from Power Point (4.3.7 did not) and that
helps.  Unfortunately, it appears that it does not export to Power Point,
which makes it difficult for me to prepare presentations and hand them
over to others to use, who don't have Applix.  I hope it will export to
html, but did not see it on the list...

	I'll know more later today.

	It's not hypocritical to know your enemy and understand what he
does.  And if he does something that you don't that others want, you need
to get on it...

	I just WISH Corel had gotten their office suite ready for this.  The
reviews I keep hearing about Corel Presentation are fabulous.  Everyone
ranks it far superior to Power Point.  If it had been available, I would
have used that.  Since it's not, I prepared using Applixware and ordered
the latest version.

	It should be interesting to see how many presenters will be using
Power Point at this year's showcase.  There were a few last year (I used
Applixware then as well as now).  I would expect fewer this year.  I would
think it "OK" if someone was using Corel Presentation even if it wasn't
on Linux yet.  It's coming...

	Hmmmm....  Maybe a "presentation" on presentation packages is in
order for a future ALE meeting.  Will have to think about that one.  Will
have to be later next year for me though...

> > --
> > Zot O'Connor

> > www.ZotConsulting.com
> > www.WhiteKnightHackers.com

> --
> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

> You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/