[ale] Networking /Token Ring configuration problems

SanMillan, Todd tis3 at cdc.gov
Mon Nov 30 14:20:42 EST 1998

I am trying to get networking going on a token ring LAN connected Caldera
box and am getting an error.  I compiled in TR support and everything
appears right and the card inserts into the ring and ifconfig says the card
is receiving packets, put when I try to ping the gateway, I get

PING 158.111.41.1 (158.111.41.1): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
ping: wrote 158.111.41.1 64 chars, ret=-1

I think this is a configuration error on my part (having never set up
networking on Linux before).  Right now I am setting up the interface by
hand, not startup scripts. Everything *looks* okay, but I am not sure what
the "network is unreachable" error is telling me.  Is this a problem with
the interface or with the network config?

Any suggestions on where to look?

Todd SanMillan
(404) 639-7802
(404) 318-4238 (pager)