[ale] screensaver, root -bg color, in fvwm <-RedHat

Ev's work account ev at jemcdevitt
Sat Nov 28 22:48:17 EST 1998

To activate the screen saver in background, just add:

xscreensaver&

into the ~/.xinitrc file prior to launching fvwm.

There are various settings which go into ~/.Xdefaults such as a list of
programs to run.  The newer xscreensaver uses a ~/.xscreensaver file, but I
think it will still work with .Xdefaults.  Here are some entries in my
.Xdefaults:

xscreensaver.timeout:	5
xscreensaver.cycle:	1
xscreensaver.fade:	true
xscreensaver.unfade:	true
xscreensaver.visualID:	default
xscreensaver.installColormap:	true
xscreensaver.programs:  \
             attraction -root \n\
             blitspin -root \n\
             bouboule -root \n\
             braid -root \n\
             bubbles -root \n\
             decayscreen -root \n\
             deco -root \n\
             drift -root \n\
             flag -root \n\
             flame -root \n\
             forest -root \n\
             galaxy -root \n\
             goop -root \n\
             grav -root \n

Note that the programs require you to escape the end of line (\n).  You should
have a list of available screen saver programs.  My settings allow the
screensaver to cycle through various programs instead of using one specific.
The cycling is random.

JEM