[ale] 3com Boomerang/Cyclone

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sat Nov 28 01:56:20 EST 1998

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Jason Boyles wrote:

> Hmmm, reviewing the 3c59x.c driver source that comes with 2.1.129
> it seems that the later 3com Boomerang and Cyclone cards support
> hardware validation of IP checksums.
>
> Which revision of the 3c59x driver supports the bus master interface?
> 2.1.130 ships with 0.99E, it looks like.

v0.40, but you should only use it with Boomerangs / Cyclones.  Apparently
it's actually slower for Vortex cards?

> Chris, which revision of the 3c59x driver do you use with your 3coms?

I"ve only got Cyclones (and some 509s, but they use a different driver), but
I'm using 0.99E on some and 0.99H on others (basically, it's a matter of if
I remembered to patch the kernel or not).

I've not really seen much difference between the two.  You'll probably have
to modify 0.99h to get your kernel to compile--someone changed it to export
some vars for PCMCIA stuff, and the names he picked were way too generic and
will class with lots of other drivers that also export waaaaay too
generically (but just comment them out or change them to soemthing
meaningful, and you're on your way).

BTW, has anyone gotten the tulip v0.90 driver to work with a recent 2.1.x
kernel?

later,
chris

--