[ale] Remember:

Jacob Langseth jlangseth at esisys.com
Sun May 17 15:23:27 EDT 1998

On Sunday, May 17, 1998 2:33 AM, Christopher Fowler [SMTP:cfowler at avana.net]
wrote:
> I miss the Internet
> I miss static IP's
> I miss having a S IP and a machine name that could be resolved on the
> internet.
> I miss having to know all the routing info, name server info, etc. just to
> set up dip or even trumpet winsock
> I miss gopher
> I miss non-graphical web pages.
> I miss no junk mail filled mailbox or newsgroup.
> I regret when Big Brother tries to regulate something that was free to
begin
> with and so great.
> I miss Archie, Jughead, Veronica!!!!!
> I miss Mosaic
> I miss FSPh
> I hate receiving so many hist on a web search and all be crappy links.
> Come on.... Cry with me.... For we will soon loose something that in the
> beginning was soooooo great!!!!!

My mourning began in '95 when the net first went corporate.
	'damn, there goes the neighborhood...'

as far as the search engine spam, give this a try.   I believe
what it essentially does is take a search result set and sort
it by order of which links have the most web pages referencing
them.  I haven't checked out the white paper(s) yet, but it
sounds like this is the case.  Anyway, the link:

[ From TBTF

..Google: high-relevancy Web searching

  Ranking Web pages for better search results

    This site [26], one of the few rigorous academic research projects
    on Web searching, presents a demonstration database -- only 25M
    documents -- that already blows past most of the existing search
    engines in returning relevant nuggets. Google employs a concept of
    Page Rank derived from academic citation literature. Page Rank
    equates roughly to a page's importance on the Web: the more inbound
    links a page has, and the higher the importance of the pages linking
    to it, the higher its Page Rank. The project used to be called
    BackRub and its spiders are still so called; those of you hosting
    Web pages will have seen its tracks of late in your log files. I
    tried a search for "Schmanthrax" -- the title of TBTF for 2/23/98
    [27] -- and of the 16 items returned, the top one was that very
    issue and 10 were linking pages on the TBTF archive. Alta Vista and
    HotBot returned a far larger number of hits, predominantly the
    mailing list archives of TBTF republishers.

    The site has this to say about the name:

      > We chose our system name, Google, because it is a common
      > spelling of googol, or 10^100 and fits well with our goal
      > of building very large-scale search engines.

    Funny, I thought the common spelling of googol was "googol."

    [26] http://google.stanford.edu/
    [27] http://www.tbtf.com/archive/02-23-98.html

--
Jacob Langseth <jlangseth at esisys.com>