[ale] Fetchmail Defeated!

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Fri May 15 01:14:50 EDT 1998

Since so many ALE members were kind enough to respond to my request for aid
regarding fetchmail, I decided to respond to the list to get everybody all at
once.

I did in fact get everything to work. Turns out that I had installed procmail
on my Redhat 3.2 box a while ago and since then had removed it. However, it had
left some files lying around so I was getting an error. Basically, it was
trying to invoke procmail as part of the local mail delivery process. Since
procmail wasn't there it was failing and that caused the entire delivery to
fail.Once I reinstalled procmail everything work fine on the retrieving end.

Outgoing mail seems to be unhappy. DNS tries to do a lookiup of the sending
machine to make sure its legal and since I'm using dialup PPP, I just named my
machine what the hell I felt like and of course that name doesn't appear.
Any suggestions of modifcations I can make to the sendmail.cf file so that the
outgoing mail looks like it comes from foo at inetnow.net instead of
foo at mybox.inetnow.net? I figured its trivial but I can get the answer a lot
quicker on htis mailing list than trudging through the sendmail man pages.

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth."