[ale] Re: Linux can't see modem (ongoing saga)

Stephen F Nicholas hcssfn at panther.gsu.edu
Thu May 14 00:01:06 EDT 1998

Greetings,
  I think I saw somewhere where we're dealing with a winmodem here.  It's
my understanding that a winmodem is incompatilble with anything that isn't
Windows based, including DOS.  Are we beating a dead horse here??  If
something has changed regarding a winmodem, please post it to the list.
My current understanding of a winmodem is that it will work under Windows
"ONLY".  Not DOS, NT, nor Linux.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Ed Landa wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 09:41:54PM -0400, Jim Philips wrote:
> > With the USR Sportster installed I tried "echo ATA>/dev/modem". That gets
> > a click from the modem and nothing else. Under DOS, I tried the equivalent
> > command "echo ATA > com2". That got the same result.
>
> You do have the cord plugged in the correct jack, right?  Some internals
> will let you plug in either port, but not the Sportster.
>
> Ed

| Steve Nicholas             |                        |
| Help Center Services       |  A risk is not a risk  |
| Georgia State University   |  until it is taken.    |
| snicholas at gsu.edu          |                        |
| HTTP://www.gsu.edu/help    |                        |