[ale] Linux Security

Mike Kachline kachline at cc.gatech.edu
Fri May 8 14:49:12 EDT 1998

	I remember having read a few months ago about either a program or
suite of programs for helping administrators figure out if anything is
askew on their linux machine. Mainly, I remember the README mentioning
that this program would check timestamps, filenames and such of "commonly
hacked" files such as /bin/login and such.
	The distinct point I remember about this program is that the
README highly suggested saving the "current snapshot" database on a floppy
disk s.t. you could pop the floppy, thus making it unwritable to hackers.

	Does anyone know what this program is? Better yet, does anyone
know of a good set of scripts or app(s) which can be run which supplies a
nightly status of whether any "critical files" have been changed? I would
like to start learning about how to tighten the screws down on my Linux
box(es).

							- Mike
Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech
kachline at cc.gatech.edu