[ale] A masquerading question...

Tory Michael Deron tory at mindspring.com
Fri May 1 09:06:23 EDT 1998

Hi all.

I have a question about IP masq.  I have it set up on my Linux box at
home, and it works great with my PPP connection.  But I want to do
something different at work and I'm wondering if someone can give some
advice, suggest a better way, or point me at some documentation.

I have a Linux box serving as our internet gateway, it has been running
great for several months now.  I bought a block of 16 IP's and gave the
box, our AS/400 and each PC it's own IP.  But, I'm out of addresses, and
I'm also concerned about security to our PC's.

What I would like to do is maybe put an additional ethernet card in the
Linux box, and put it and the AS/400 outside the internal network so
that you can get to them from the net, but put the PC's inside so that
they reach the internet through masquerading.

(I hope I'm making sense.)

Anyway, is masquerading the best way?  Would it work?  Is there a better
way?  I'm not a network administrator by trade, so please forgive me if
these questions are obvious to some of you.  I sort of fell into this
job by accident, (Well, not entirely, I did sort of push for it.)  But
now I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tory Deron