[ale] get you free inodes!

Brian H. Trammell brian at altara.org
Sat Jun 27 14:12:11 EDT 1998

I saw this problem a lot on one of my primary servers, albeit the ext2
problem was on an actual drive device.

Any access to specific files would cause the error. The Sig11 FAQ listed
this as a possible error message when you have a SIMM about to go kaput on
you. I did a massive chain of kernel compiles without a single Sig11. I
replaced the memory and motherboard to no avail. I finally discovered the
error was in the IDE drive cable (Major device 3 is IDE drives on the
primary channel). Try changing your primary channel IDE cable.

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998,
Chris Ness wrote:

> Checking through the old syslog,
> I've come accross a new quite insistant error message:
>
> <date and time of course> EXT2-fs warning (device 03:42):
> ext2_free_inode
>
> The problem is in 'ls -l' in /dev 3 42 is /dev/ttyrb .Thats not even a
> drive. Any ideas which of my hard drives is saying goodbye?
> --
> Chris Ness
> mailto:cness at gloster.vivid.net   	      All jobs are equally easy to
> http://www.vivid.net/~gloster               the person not doing the
> work.
> 				   			    Holt's Law

..........brian h. trammell <brian at altara.org> http://www.altara.org/~brian
.......................director, the altara open network - atlanta, georgia
.........................Communication without Gates - http://www.linux.org

"You've got to dance like nobody's watching."