[ale] diffs

Phil Heaton ke4krt at radio.org
Sat Jun 27 10:40:59 EDT 1998

Tri wrote:

> can someone explain to me what are diffs and how do I use them?
> Tri

	Here's _a_ use.

	At work we have what is called a WAM (Work Assignment
Memo). Well we recently placed this onto our server (of course
it's Linux) and to do this I had to make an HTML table to duplicate
this form. I am not the one who had to keep it up though, so I
gave a quickie HTML lesson to the responsible person and left
it in their hands. After a while, this person screwed up the
table so bad it wouldn't even load. So, now-a-days, when there
is a change to this page I have a cron job check the WAM at upload
(using diff -a /home/httpd/html/wam.html /backup/wam1.html) and
it sends the diff result to me via e-mail and if there's a big
screw up, I fix it. Much easier than having a Government Auditor
find it and have me fix it after the entire department has been
written up. That's ONE example of it's use.  :>

Phil
--
Phil Heaton
ke4krt at radio.org