[ale] Hi! everybody.

Eric Z. Ayers eric at compgen.com
Sat Jun 20 11:32:23 EDT 1998

Deepak,

Unlike Mark Shoemaker, you probably aren't completely screwed.
In order to run fsck on your root filesystem, you need to do one of 2
things.

1) Boot into single usermode and with your root filesystem mounted
   read-only, use fsck to check the partition.

Most distributions mount the root filesystem readonly on boot and run
this fsck check automatically.  If you can boot your system, try the
rdev command on your kernel:

rdev -R 1 /vmlinux

then reboot into single user mode (at the LILO prompt, type something
like 'vmlinux single')

2) Boot from a floppy disk (like Slackware installation disks) and run
   e2fsck on your partition.

If you can't boot your system, then this likely your only option. It's
also probably the easiest.  Put in the boot floppy, then the root
floppy, then after it boots up and gives you a prompt, just type
something like

e2fsck /dev/hda1

Good Luck,
-Eric.