[ale] File systems problem.

George A. Nies gnies at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 15 11:22:45 EDT 1998

Michael S. Donelan wrote:

> Me again. First let me say thank you to Linux Idiot for help with the sound
> card problem. I'll be able to settle that problem as soon as I get help
> with this one.
>
> Recently Gopal Sarma wrote asking for help about mounting a floppy or
> cdrom. I have the same problem he does, namely when I try to mount the
> device, I get the error message "hdc is not /etc/fstab or mtab". I didn't
> see a response to this question in the newsgroup and was wondering if it
> was posted or someone could help me with this problem.
>
> Thanks again for your patience and help.
>
>                         Mike Donelan

How are you calling mount?  As said in another post you can add
this to /etc/fstab.  But you don't _have_ to.  You should be able
to mount floppy or cdrom with the following syntax:

cdrom (on /dev/hdc to directory called /cdrom):
  mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/hdc /cdrom
floppy (/dev/fd0(a) on directory called /a):
  msdos:
    mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /a
  ext2:
    mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /a